Since it is so close to the time when I am leaving the East Coast, I thought I would share some facts I’ve gained from reading about Alaska. Here they are:
1. Juneau is the capital and can only be reached by air or sea. That’s Right! Alaska is the only state whose capital does not have any land access. Cool.
2. Alaska as a whole is two and a half times larger than the state of texas!
3. Two state holidays: Alaska Day, Oct.18th – Alaska Day is the anniversary of the formal transfer of the territory and the raising of the US. flag at Sitka on October 18, 1867.Seward’s Day March 27 – Seward’s Day commemorates the signing of the treaty by which the United States bought Alaska from Russian, signed on March 30, 1867.
4. Personal income for the year 2000 was a whopping $31,000.
5. There is over 100,000 glaciers in Alaska – more than any other state combined. The largest in Alaska, The Maslaspina Glacier, covers over850 square Miles!
6. The longest day in Anchorage is approx. 20 hours and the shortest 4.5 hrs.
7. Alaska is home to 17 of the 20 highest mountains in North America. Mt. Mckinley is the highest, reaching almost 20,500 feet with the second being Mt. Saint Elias at 18,000 feet.
8. In addition, Alaska has 15 National Parks. (Can’t wait to go to all of them!)
9. Alaska is closer to Russia than it is to the lower 48 (mainland USA). Likewise, Alaska is approximately halfway between Japan (3,520 miles) and New York (3,280 miles).
10. Anchorage is Alaska’s largest city and is located on the Cook Inlet (with the second largest tidal range in the country).
11. Thanks to long daylight hours, the nearby valleys can grow giant vegetables, like cabbages the size of basketballs.
12. The Iditarod race officially begins in Anchorage on March 5th 2011!!! So we will be there for the start of the race! (well, hopefully Andrew and I won’t be too grumpy and tired to get up to see it!).
One of my favorite Movies of all time is The Four Feathers. I watched it again for the gazillionth time yesterday while I was ‘resting’ in bed at home. Why do I like this movie so much? Because it is about love, friendship, courage, faith and hope. It is about going beyond your boundaries and into the unknown to conquer your fears and prove to yourself that you can go the distance…and you will. Watch it and you too will enjoy it immensely.