Day 3-7: University of Colorado Hospital Stay

Day 3: Friday

On Friday, E and I went on her birthday activity (more when she sends me the pictures). Later in the evening A called me and asked if I would come back to the hospital. He had a really bad night and a repeat bad day by a different nurse, same situation. Quick recap as he told to his best friend (and I overheard): Thursday evening, A called the nurse because his epidural machine was beeping and she noted that his epidural drugs were low. Three hours later, A is in excruciating pain because the epidural ran out. The nurse comes in and ‘sees’ that the drugs have run out but has not yet put in an order for more. The order finally goes in but the pharmacy takes a while to fulfill it. Friday during the day (with a different nurse), a similar episode happens. This time, it is because the CNAs took out the epidural but the nurse didn’t order the Morphine drip to arrive in time. So again, he was in excruciating pain for over 1 1/2 hours before he got the pain medication he needed. SO I can understand why he wanted me there.

Day 4/5: Saturday/Sunday

I spent a lot of time reading and watching Season 3 of Nashville. I. Love. That. Show. So much drama. Too much drama. And yet I can’t help but get sucked into it. I took a few walks, spent some time outside trying to stay away from the Canadian geese (true story), attempting to play some board games for International Table Top Day (he was too tired), watched more of Hulu Plus and Netflix, read some more of my book, talked on the phone to friends and family.

Day 6: Monday

I drove home since A was feeling really good. Most of Sunday evening he felt great (so great that we both stayed up until about midnight which was a bad idea because I was sooo tired when I woke up Monday morning) and was feeling good in the morning. The doctors said that they would re-assess him on Monday afternoon and a discharge time would be determined. I went home to hang out with my sister and clean up the house a little bit. I hope to post some more pictures of our adventures once she sends some of the ones she took to me.

Day 7: Tuesday

I got a text early in the morning from A stating that he was being discharged at 9:30 and to get there as soon as possible. We drove up during rush hour traffic, stopped for a walk outside of Castle Rock to avoid extra traffic caused by an accident, and got to the hospital by 10:00. We were given home instructions, stopped at the pharmacy on the way out and drove on home! We got home just after noon. It feels so good to be back and sleeping in my own bed!



About C.Skinner

I am a military spouse and I am excited to travel! I love to find adventure; am trying to be more creative; this year my intention is to live a better, fuller life.
This entry was posted in body. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s